During LAUNCH residency 2016, Andi Crist, a founder of Autotelic Studios, was one of the artist leaders guiding the residents. We spoke a bit and she put me in contact with Ryan Burns, curator for Autotelic, and here we magically are a year later.
This being my first solo show, I got super excited,
and figured it should be something other than animation.
So, last December I ordered a Prusa i3 Mk2 kit, which arrived late January.
Took me a couple weeks to make the time to build.
Then a few days to get it running smoothly.
If you actually get time to just sit down and work on this, it could be a day or two thing.
The model was built using 3D Studio Max, though any 3D software would work. A shell modifier was added to it, as objects intended for print need a thickness to them. Then, wanting the piece to be bigger than my printer was able, the model was sectioned into parts that would fit in an 8" cube (limits of the printer). Exported as individual object files, each section was first put through Netfabb, to ensure they were closed and structurally sound. This fixed file is then placed in CURA, a printing slicing program, as it is easier to rotate and position the piece on the printer in CURA, than in the Prusa provided, Slic3r program. However, Slic3r sets prints up better by having more adjustments enabled, so the CURA settled file is opened in Slic3r to cut the layers and create the .gcode for the printer to read.
While these pieces were printing, a Raspberry Pi3 kit was ordered. Now, I've never used a Raspberry Pi before, and am ever so happy that NOOBS is a thing, or I would have had a hell of a time. Installing the TFT screen did take a little while. Messed up and had to make a clean SD-card and go through NOOBS again before I got it. Getting Processing on the Pi, which is the software creating the visuals, went smoothly, and I seriously lucked out on the code.
KuKo Visuals, is this person on YouTube who makes awesome videos about code. Their audio reactive code with gradient shifting squares was close to what I imagined, and although I'm still going through the code to better understand it- tweaking code that is already written is super easy. Messaged KuKo Visuals saying, hello, I used your code for this thing, hope that's cool- and I doubt they'll respond. Especially since by sending that message, YouTube showed that 2 years ago I had messaged the same person asking about some, "Arduino function generator", and got no response. Whoever you are, you are most helpful, and thank you.
Just sits in there.
Thing about this code is that it's performing FFT(Fast Fourier Transform) analysis of the audio file, and that's hard work for a micro-computer to do, but wait- it then turns that data into visuals. It most certainly lags on the Pi in comparison to running the code on my laptop. But you know, of course it does. I'm still impressed by the strength of the Pi3, and the minim library for that matter. Kuko Visuals also has a video where they delve into audio analysis with the minim library.
A way to spend some time, Fast Fourier Transform.
The audio file used was a snippet of the two-black-hole collision from 2015, on loop.
This sculpture was to have no power cords running from it.
Inside it the Pi3 is plugged into a ChargeTech portable power outlet.
Any questions, or input, would love to hear it.